Created during the Anbauschlacht (a programme to increase Swiss food production during the Second World War), present-day Pfyngut can look back on 70 years of successful agriculture.
In 1941, 6 months after future Federal councillor Friedrich Traugott Wahlen had called upon the Swiss population to begin a “Anbauschlacht” (the cultivation battle) during the Second World War, the Pfyn land was acquired from the seller Paul Guye from Lausanne, son of Georg Arnold Guye by Karl Weber from Zollikon near Zurich. He was the president of the supervisory board of Landgut Pfyn AG, headquartered in Brig and established for this purpose. The buyer’s father was the industrialist Oscar Weber from Zug, founder of the Verzinkerei Zug zinc-coating factory and future owner of the two department store groups Oscar Weber and EPA. This enabled the son Karl Weber to provide Landgut Pfyn AG with the capital necessary to push forward the anticipated increase of arable acreage to supply the population in time of need.
The manor house served as former accommodation for the female employees of the manor.
Approximately 30 people worked at Pfyngut at any one time between 1950 and 2000. The Gutshaus was constructed to provide the female employees, and occasionally their families, with good accommodations. Rooms for male employees were built in the workshop and blacksmith’s shop and occupied in 1959.
The Romans influenced the development of Valais a great deal. They built a major road linking Martigny with the Upper Valais and it was the Romans who introduced rye to Valais as well as the first bissen (water ditches) used by the Romans for irrigation.
During the Early Iron Age, Pfyn Forest was evidently used intensively as a forest pasturage for ruminants. Extensive examination of coprolites (fossilised fæces) from Neolithic and Bronze Age lakeside settlements have revealed that this was a common form of animal husbandry.